Propaganda


"The fact that the peoples of the Colonies even must question as to the pertinence that we should declare war against these mongrels is absolutely atrocious! Have we not been oppressed in every single aspect of our daily lives, even to the point where we are not served with the right to elect what they may drink for breakfast. In my very own opinion, this should not be conceded! I, as a Citizen of the North, will not concede it! And as a Citizen, I must profess the desire that each and every one of you may join me in this Cause. Let me remind you, Gentle Folk, that our daily lives have been impacted by these unpleasant peoples. The lives of all around you; your neighbors, shop keepers, bankers, ship men, butchers have been affected. If you let these actions become commonplace, your children must pay the price for your torpid behavior. Must I go on?


In the year 1763, all Colonies were prohibited to cross the crest in the Appellation Mountains. We have come to this Country to maintain freedom! I ask you, tell me how this conveys our Colonial freedom? If we may not be allowed to live where we wish, what shall be next, I beg you? Will we be conserved to our homes and our very towns? If we allow Britain to dictate where we shall live, then what is stopping them from dictating other aspects of our lives?


Also, may I remind you, that in the year 1764 the Grenville Acts were presented, raising the direct tax of our very important commodities. We are now living in a world where we are not even permitted to send a letter without being taxed nearly half to death by the Crown. We cannot have wine to sweeten our tongues at dinner, nor molasses to disperse the bitterness of cooking. British troops are living in our very homes, the dwellings that we have worked so hard to maintain! Why must we feed and quarter these mongrels, when they are a threat to our safety and family! I, being a very devoted father of three young girls, am very concerned about their safety. Have you never experienced a drunken fool to wander into your home around the latest hour imaginable, making chaos and floundering about in a stupor? Let me tell you, it is a monstrous sight indeed! Many a night I have awoken in fear, and sought after the safety of my dear wife and children. I must work twice as hard to pay for their well-being, when I am barely able to pay for my family!


If this is not atrocious enough, consider this my brothers; the Townsend Acts! Can we not even enjoy the simple pleasure of morning tea? This expense is so loathsome that I have not even the though in my mind that I am able to pay for it!

And yet, I am not finished! Most horrid of all are these Intolerable Acts, which are consequently governed our lives in the most despicable of ways! The red coats have shut down our port of Boston, shut down our town governments, and appointed bloody Brit leaders instead of our own. Thomas Gage is not my leader, nor is the Crown! We Colonists cannot receive merchandise, not export it. Our source of income is dwindling by the very moment, and yet why do we not rebel? We have incredibly little, may I remind you. All of our belongings have been taken away from us, our food, our money, our homes, and even the lives of our fellow colonists!


Do you not remember the Boston Massacre? Does this not enrage you so that you would be willing to give your lives for the Cause of one Nation, and your liberty you have fought so hard to maintain? That gruesome day, March Fifth, yes -- I do recall it. I was there, in the crowd. Defenseless, for the most part (omitting only a few snowballs - and I do say, I would hope an army not be too frightened of a little water), we were fired upon, so unexpectedly that our Countrymen were shot and wounded by the impudence of the British troops to hold off a riot!


Now, I ask you, my friends, my brothers. Is this not intolerable in the most extreme? Is this not against what we have fought for so hard? We have made it this far, why should we even imagine giving up now? Will you not allow the Crown to violate your daily lives and rights so, because I tell you now - if you do not put up your first and rebel, then there will be no new land; there will be no United Country, nor even a Colony left under our own rule. It is plain to me, and should be plain to you -- this war will not be fought on a distant battlefield, it will be fought amongst us, containing every one of us. But if we do not fight, our way of life will simply cease to exist."

0 comments: